STRO carries out projects that introduce a local currency to stimulate the local economy. We strive for another kind of money that is better for people and the environment. These are currently the most important projects of STRO:
DigiPay4Growth= Digital Payments channeled through a business network to stimulate local/regional economic Growth.
The DigiPay4Growth project applies an innovative Digital Payment System, Cyclos, to channel inflows of purchasing power from various sources towards SME’s in the regional/local economy. DigiPay can be used to:
- Condition (government) expenditures in order to have a positive increase of the local /regional multiplier effect of such expenditures.
- Provide counter cyclicalcredit to SMEs, called Social Trade Credit. Those economic actors that benefit from the inflow of credit within a specific supply chain, contribute to the cost of credit risk.
This purchasing power is “trapped” locally for a specific amount of elapsed time so that it creates economic activity and income for local businesses while it remains in the network of businesses .
Digipay4Growth will demonstrate the use of Cyclos in 3 pilot projects:
- Catalonia (Spain): In Digipay4Growth Catalonia the municipality of Santa Coloma de Gramenet and the county Berguedà implement a the DigiPay method to channel public expenditures.
- Bristol (UK): In Bristol the current Bristol Pound scheme will introduce credit to the Bristol Pound business members, called Bristol Prospects.
- Sardinia (Italy): In the region of Sardinia the Regional Authority of Sardinia works together with Sardex to introduce and test the DigiPay method in their local context.
Read more about Digipay4Growth on http://www.digipay4growth.eu/
GEM is a mobile rewards platform for volunteers in R.S.A
- Users earn GEMs by doing community work, separating waste, planting trees etc.
- Users spend GEMs on mobile rewards including airtime, pre-paid electricity, data & movie tickets.
Opening a GEM account is quick, easy and free and can be done via both smart and feature phone.
Read more about GEM at http://www.gemproject.org/
While STRO has shifted its focus more to Europe, STRO had a strong presence in Central America with projects in Honduras, El Salvador and Costa Rica. Besides projects evolving around complementary currencies, STRO Central America was active in the field of biofuels and other appropriate technologies.
Read more about STRO in Central America on http://www.stro-ca.org (this website is in Spanish)
Cyclos is a feature-rich online banking solution that is easy to use and maintain, flexible, secure and highly customisable.
Cyclos comes with a range of banking and payment options, a complete e-commerce system and high and low end mobile access channels. The mobile channel offers a scalable and cheap opportunity for banks to enlarge their outreach and to offer branchless banking.
Cyclos is used by local banks, C3 networks, MFI’s, barters, community currencies and time banks. The dynamic structure of Cyclos allows organisations to ‘build’ a dedicated payment system from scratch just by changing the configuration (without the hassle to make code changes).
Read more about Cyclos at http://www.cyclos.org/